I hope you’re all well! I’m finally back home in Lagos, Nigeria and I’m so happy. I haven’t been back for a year so it feels good to be home.
Today’s post is about something I only recently started doing (like beginning of this year): HOT OIL TREATMENTS!!! In simple terms, a hot oil treatment is when you warm an oil or a mixture of oils and apply it to your hair and scalp. Some benefits include:
- protects the scalp from dandruff and dryness
- reduces frizz
- aids in detangling
- softens the hair
- seals moisture into the strands, reducing dryness and restoring strength and balance
- makes your hair shiny
|A few faves – extra virgin olive oil, Jamaican black castor oil, extra virgin avocado oil & sweet almond oil|
- Pour oil or mixture of oils into a mug/cup/bowl
- Place mug/cup/bowl in a hot water bath (I wouldn’t recommend putting the oils in the microwave – the microwave will kill some of the nutrients in the oils)
- Apply the warm oil to your scalp and hair, focusing on the ENDS!
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap or plastic bag and wrap in a scarf to keep your hair warm
- Leave it on for at least 3 hours or overnight – I usually leave it on overnight!
- Rinse out and carry on with your hair routine
- Coconut oil, avocado oil and olive oil are the only oils that can actually penetrate the hair strand so I make sure to incorporate at least one of these oils in my hot oil treatment
- You can use pretty much whichever oils you want in your mixture (apart from mineral oil!)
- Try to incorporate a few drops of essentials oils into your mixture e.g. lavender oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil etc
- Do the treatment on dry or lightly damp hair
- If you can’t warm the oils up first, it’s not the end of the world! The heat from your head will warm up the oils. It’s just that the oils will work their magic much quicker if you heat them up first.
- Use the best quality oils you can find/afford e.g. go for extra virgin olive oil over normal olive oil if you can
- Do not forget to oil your scalp too! Scalp health is just as important as hair health